Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar 2011 Preview

Pre-Oscar Events:

I attended the Animated Symposium but missed most of the other pre-Oscar events held this week like the Nominated Foreign Film and the Make-up and Hair Stylist Symposiums. I also missed attending the Nominated Animated Shorts Symposium but I am especially upset that I missed the Short Features Symposium, hosted by noted actor and director, Kenneth Branaugh (see video). All these events are held at the Samuel Goldwyn Bld in Beverly Hills and are priced from FREE - $5. Other free Oscar events and exhibits were held at the Kodak Theatre this week also.

Oscar Viewing:

The Oscars is fastly approaching and since I didn't get bleacher viewing seats this year (again), I am not sure how I'll view the 83rd Oscars. I will be in the area for church service and a child dedication on Sunday so I might brave the bad weather (was that hale in Burbank today?) and the crush of the crowd to see the red carpet arrivals in person at Hollywood and Highland. If you are regular to this blog you will recall that I promised to never return to the Oscars arrival side walk troupe ever again! It was fun in 2008 and I did see a few stars like Katherine Heigle, Nicole Kidma, George Clooney but we stood for hours in a ridiculously packed in crowd. To make matters worse, a 6' tall German lady nearly took me out while trying to see Clooney. Then Japanese tourists were climbing over me to get to the lamp posts overhead so that they can get good pictures. Then some Italian man in the crowd was groping butts accidentally :( The cops were suspect too because they were letting many pretty Brazilian women (who were showing ample cleavage) pass the police barricade, therefore allowing them close enough to see everything. It was such a zoo that I didn't get any pics of the stars and my back and my mood were bummed from all the pushing and standing.

Oscar Viewing Parties in LA:

I was considering attending one of the Oscar viewing parties here in LA. As a back-up plan. Oscar sanctions 50 official viewing parties across the US and the funds raised benefits various charities in the respective cities. I attended one such sanctioned event years ago at AFI in Silver Spring, MD and it was a blast including red carpet interviews of us stars/guests as we arrived and photographers. We watched the event live on the theater screen and won prizes for correct nominee ballot picks. Of course, there are the post-Oscar industry parties like Vanity Fair's and others but I don't think I'm on their guest lists(lol).

There are also a number of unofficial viewing parties and after-parties in LA. I've listed a few below (all under $60) but there's nothing to stop you from throwing your own fab Oscar party for about the same price for your favorite cinefiles and fashionistas. I usually do my Oscar viewing solo at home but I'm always dressed for the red carpet complete with gown, heels and bling, as well as winners envelopes, acceptance speech and an a gold Oscar-esque stand-in and I think that maybe I'm not alone in doing this.

Oscar Viweing Parties:

1. Cinefamily fund raiser When: Sunday, February 27 (5-11pm) Where: The Cinefamily Theatre, 611 N. Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036 Cost: Suggested donations are $15 general admission/free for members, $60 for a 2-person couch, and $90 for a 3-person couch

2. F.A.M.E. And Bel-Air Magazine Party When: Sunday, February 27 (4pm-midnight) Where: Falcon Restaurant, 7213 W Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90046 Cost: Varying prices. While you could technically RSVP for free, this doesn't guarantee seating. Tickets start at $25. http://www.clubzone.com/events/340794/los-angeles/falcon/fame-3rd-annual-oscar-viewing-and-after-party 3

Digital Entertainment and IVY Entertainment's Party Digital and IVY (Ivy League alumni who are industry professionals) are hosting an Oscars viewing party at

Capitol City. They will have a 14 by 8 foot projection screen as well as a dozen flat screens for viewing. The cost is under only $14 plus the cash/food bar plus it's a great opportunity for networking. When: Sunday, February 27 (4:30-8pm) Where: Capitol City, 1615 N Cahuenga Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90028 Cost: $14 4. W Hotel's Party Where: Whiskey Blue 930 Hilgard Ave., 310-443-8232 this Sunday starting at 3 p.m.

Sources:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/25/oscars-2011-viewing-parties-in-los-angeles_n_827417.html#s243761&title=Kimera_Restaurants_3rd www.RedCarpet.com and www.Zevents.com

Update: Sun 2/27/11

Happy Oscar Sunday!A few of my friends from church, who are musicians or in the industry, told me that they would be attending various casual viewing parties at restaurants on Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. along with their other friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment