Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fall TV Season 2009

The Fall TV season has just started and it has a slue of new medical dramas(yippie for me) as well as old regulars like Grey's and Private Practice, some teen angst and vampire soaps, a slight bump in situation comedies, the requisite Law and Order series and the usual slate of reality shows with screaming diva housewives from where ever. Here are the reviews of what I watched and my "In My Humble Opinion"(IMHO) viewing score with *** for new/debut shows.

Comedies:
***Community(NBC):
With stars like McHale from Talk Soup, a legend like Chevy Chase and Ken Jeong, M.D. (I loved him in Knocked Up)this might be a hit. I liked the first episode but need to see 2 more to be convinced.

IMHO Score: Tune in(warm)

Parks and Recreation(NBC):
This was a mid-season filler last year that showed some promise but now I'm really not liking it. It's not original enough and it's way too similar to The Office . I thought that they would spend the summer re-tooling it and punch it up a bit as the comedy writing seemed dry but I guess not. They are totally wasting Amy Poelers talent with this one.

IMHO: Tune Out

SNL Prime time(NBC):
SNL 2 days a week might be to much as they had been low on inspiration for a few seasons. The recent elections were a goldmine, though, and new political and celeb scandals are brewing so this might be able to do it for them in the ratings.

IMHO:Tune in (tepid)

Medical Dramas or Who will be ER's heir apparent?
Grey's Anatomy(ABC):
Intentionally missed Grey's season opener except for a quick glimpse of the elevator scene with Bailey and McDreamy. I guess George dies and Izzie lives? I really don't want to know as I think this show jumped the shark in season 4. I do have some spec Tv scripts of this show to showcase my writing abilities so I do hope the writers for the show recover from there "lack of originality" slump.

IMHO Score: Tuned out 2 seasons ago

**Mercy:
A new medical drama about a nurse back from serving on the front lines of the Iraq War. I was trying to watch this just because of Delroy Lindo but I had to bail after the first 10-15 minutes. Mercy as a nurse is too pushy and openly rude to the doctors and she has way too much say and authority over her patients' management.

IMHO Score: Tune out!

***Three Rivers(CBS):
This another new medical drama that I am again watching just because one of my favorite actors is in it. This time it's Emmy winner, Alfree Woodard. I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to bail. The lead characters are weak and washed out with no reason to invest in their journey and wast an hour of your life. All except, Ms. Woodard of course; she knocks her scenes out of the park.

***Trauma(NBC):
New medical drama #3 that I am again watching to support a fav actor of mine. This time it's Derek who starred in Antone Fisher with Denzel Washington. I spent the night at the Lions To Lambs after-party with Derek's mom and brother so now he feels more like family... like the little brother I never had. The show is very high octane probably trying to appeal to the male demographics and oppose the "night-time soap/chick flick" appeal of Grey's and Private Practice.

I was intrigued by the premise of this show and I watched about 10 minutes of the season opener. I don't think any of the characters I saw were interesting or compelling enough for me to tune in. I also don't know how long audiences will buy all the medical scenes being done in the pre-hospital phase though it is exciting to watch car crashes and explosions. I hope they do include some trauma doctor characters to balance this out and I also hope that they follow them a bit off shift so that we see a bit of their private lives.

IMHO: Tune in (warm)


Reality Shows:
The Amazing Race(NBC):
What a wonderful season opening! In this 2 hour episode 16 teams of contestants jet around the world to exotic locations following clues and getting out of "sticky" situations using their mental know-how, their physical muscle and relational compatibility. Of the 16 couples, 13 are actual couples either married or dating and a good number professed their Christian faith openly. I immediately started praying that the show wouldn't deteriorate to what happened on "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!" this past summer. 2 of the remaining couples are relative teams made up of a father and son duo and two brothers, respectively. The final pair are professional poker playing girlfriends who's "Vegas" ethics are showing through.

Grade: Tune In!(hot)

Survivor:
I can't watch this show-- Tune out!

Biggest Loser
I've been watching this show religiously for the past 3 seasons and still think it's a good show but I'm concerned about the medical stressors placed on these contestants and the frequency of near death events that occur within the first 48 hours on campus. Also, has anyone noticed the large amount of swearing that occurs on this show? Jilian is notorious for it but now Bob is no slouch and the contestants aren't far behind. They do bleep most of the profanity but recently the b**** word has been getting lots of airtime. It could be that their doing it for ratings but it's having an opposite effect for me as I am about ready to tune them out. I know it's hard to motivate people especially those over 400 pounds but come on.

IMHO: Tune in (hot, as burning tons of pounds of fat produces massive heat-lol)

Top Chef:
The chef's don't seem as inspired this year and they are pushing the gay agenda a bit again this year. The episode on cooking for the military was especially nice as it aired right before 9/11.

IMHO: Tune in (warmed up by stenos-lol)

Project Runway:
It's season debut and subsequent episodes were back to form, which is important after a turbulent year of lawsuits, change to a new network and delay of filming the show. In fact, in a fist for the show, they already know who won before the first episode aired and the undisclosed winner showed their garments at Bryant Park in New York City for Fashion Week. Week to week this remains a must see show for me and now they added a spin off...

Models of The Runway:

IMHO: Both are "Tune in- HOT!"

America's Next Top Model:
Tuned them out 2 seasons ago along with "Ugly Betty" due to the flagrant use of the b**** word on the show. I think Hollywood writers feel that if gay characters say the b**** word then it is not profane because that's how they refer to themselves. My response? I think, just like with the n word, this excuse is crazy. I reported both shows to the FCC for breaking profanity rules in broadcasting but no feedback
on it as yet.

IMHO: Tune out!

Dancing Reality Shows:Dancing With the Star: None of the contestants look interseting this year. Same for So You Think You Can Dance?
IMHO: Skip both

Night-time Talk Shows:
The Tonight Show:
I loved Conan years ago but now not so much as the earlier slot and sensitivities seem to be killing his game. I had thought that he was doing too many stunts on the show even before his bad spill so hopefully this will put an end to them. Also, he sucks as an interviewer and seems to fidget and has weird jerky movements during certain parts of the show. He also does weird voice parodies at inappropriate moments that aren't quite funny. Wait, I think he always did that and I used to like it but it doesn't seem funny now.

Tune in (tepid)

Jay Leno at 10 pm:
His first show was great but I've only tuned in half-heartily since. He gets better guests than Conan and is a better interviewer by far.

Tune in (warm-conditional on the guests appearing)

Late Night with David Latterman:
I've watched David Letterman for nearly 30 years but I've "Tuned out" after he said what he said about Palin's under aged daughter. It wasn't what he said exactly it was more the apology or lack of one. I and countless others signed an online protest and indecency complaint about this event and it was submitted to the FCC for it's opinion on the matter.

IMHO: I am so "Tuned OUT!"

Jimmy Fallon:
Jimmy Fallon's stuttering, quirky movements, incessant laughing and poor joke delivery during the monologue is very irritating but he is actually a fair-good interviewer. I really love the Roots band, though, as well as his "Housewives of Late Night" and his "Saved By The Bell" skit.

Day Time Talk Shows:
Tyra:
Tuned Out 2 seasons ago due to numerous infractions and needing to wash my mind after viewing.

Wendy Williams
Make it stop!

Oprah:
Tuned out 2 seasons ago. The list of "why"s is to long to go into just suffice to say I'm done.

Rachel Ray:
She talks real fast but she has a perky and likeable interviewing style. Plus, she cooks great food on the show... what's there not to like? I actually like her shows on the Food Network better.

Update#1:
I did sneak a peak at excerpts of Oprah's interview with Whitney Houston. Ms.Houston is one of my favorite singers of all time and she is a capable actress, too. I've been praying for Ms. Houston for years and I am so glad that she is out of her destructive behaviour and relationships. Whitney spoke very much about how God and her faith (and her mother's) brought her through and she inspired me to continue to believe God for the impossibles. I got her CD as a gift and I will play it often as I continue to pray for her as she fights day-to-day for sobriety. Some say her voice isn't the same but to me it now has a grittiness and deep hard-fought soulfulness that moves it beyond pop or rock, past soul to R&B and maybe more appropriately, Gospel music. Whitney, work on that Gospel CD next, girl!

Update#2:
I wrote my comments on David Lettermen before the current news broke about his admitted claims of consensual sex with his assistants and the subsequent extortion plot. I will leave it at that.

Update#3: 10/14/09
Mercy gets worse and worse. I know doctors may not be pleased by how they are depicted here but nurses must be absolutely livid.
Trauma doesn't deliver.
I caught half an episode of ATM Cycle 13 with petite models and it was terrible! It's like they've just plain out run out of ideas and I am doubtful if any of these girls can make it as a working model. Luckily, there was no swearing but still the obligatory man in drag. Still a "skip it!"
Community is growing on me.

Reminder:
Please keep these shows on their toes by reporting indecent or profane language or images to the FCC, especially shows shown from 8PM-10 PM, which is family viewing time. If enough of us do this it can turn around some of the programming choices by the networks. If not, then use your free choice option and... TUNE THEM OUT!

Contact the FCC at:
http://www.fcc.org

Variety article on new FCC crack down
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002920.html?categoryid=10&cs=1&nid=2248








me

1 comment:

  1. Update - 2009 TV Season:
    2/17/12 (wow, I'm so timely with updates, tehe)
    Here it is 2 years later and all the medical dramas I panned are gone. I also need to clarify Derek Luke was the actor I mentioned who starred in the NBC show "Trauma" but I was only joking when I said we were "like family".

    The “TV Late Night Show fight” between Conan and Jay Leno played itself out and the actual winner was... Jimmy Fallon.

    Oprah started her own OWN cable network-lol. I'm not sure if any of her fans followed her to cable but I sure didn't. In the past 3 years, I've only watched Oprah whenever Whitney Houston was being interviewed. Sadly, Oprah just did a special on Whitney as Whitney Houston died this past Saturday 2/11/12 (see my post).

    R.I.P. Whitney!

    I became madly in love with Community by the 3rd episode so I'm now praying it gets back on the air soon. I took a liking to Parks & Rec too especially after they introduced Megan Malloly as the crazy ex-wife.

    Oh, and TV reality shows still suck!

    ReplyDelete