Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Monday, September 13, 2010

R.I.P. Kevin McCarthy

Veteran character actor Kevin McCarthy dies of natural causes on Sept. 11 2010 at age 96. McCarthy did stage and screen work for over 70 years but he is most known for his iconic role in the 1950's sci-fi horror thriller, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. He also received critical acclaim for his portrayal of Biff in Death of A Salesman on stage and screen.

I knew Kevin McCarthy's face from years of watching him in movies but I never knew his name. I loved him in Invasion of the Body Snatchers etc. but I especially loved his work on TV. He did lots of appearances on TV westerns in the 1960's and as a kid I thought all sheriffs looked like him. In fact, I still have a strong visual memory of him tipping his tan Stetson or squaring his jaw at some town folk in one episode or another.

He also made guest appearances on many of my favorite TV murder mysteries (remember the way he would say “Jess” to Angela Lansbury on Murder, She Wrote?). He also appeared in many detective dramas and TV sci-fi series as well as made for TV movies in the 1970's-90's. By this time he was usually playing more established authority figures (military majors or generals, politicians, doctors or family patriarchs) and he was especially convincing in all his roles.

It's great to see that he was still working well into his nineties and, though 96 years of life is a blessing, I'm sorry to see such a fine actor go. It seems like a little of my childhood, teens and early adulthood is gone with this man as well. Plus it's my birthday today and it sucks to think that his family is sad when I'm rejoicing. But it's not about me.

My condolences and prayers go out to his family.
R.I.P. Kevin McCarthy and may God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment