Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Disney Buys Marvel Comics For $4 Billion!

September 1, 2009
Breaking Industry News:

Industry sources announce that Disney has bought Marvel Comics for $4 billion dollars. I can't say I'm surprised at this acquisition in light of the plethora of comic book inspired blockbuster movies of summer 2008 and 2009. The slate of proposed films for 2010 proves this trend is likely to continue for a few years more. Still, I have a few concerns that the "House of Mouse" (which gears its films toward kids or tween girls) and Marvel Comics (which usually gears their films toward teen and adult males) might not be a good fit. I especially can't imagine how they will merge the two brands at current Disney theme parks. Then there is the merchandising that comes with each super-hero and movie, the rights of which are tied up in different studios and different amusement parks (Universal Studios). Yikes!

Response to the sale was mixed today, as some fans expressed sentiments similar to my initial fears. In fact, one guy on youtube was having a mini-melt down (stay on your meds bro). Don't get me wrong, I have loved Disney since I cried my way through Bambi and laughed as I watched Mickey kill flies and threaten giants in Brave Little Tailor when I was 6 or 7. Everything Disney film division has done has worked out so far, so I should have a little more faith that they can pull this off too (without watering down or girlie-fying the Marvel brand). Stan "the Man" Lee, the founder of Marvel, was interviewed yesterday and he even raved about the deal. Hey, as a true Marvel Comics fan for nearly four decades, if Stan Lee says it's good then that's good enough for me.

Here's the link to Stan Lee's interview:
www.foxbusiness.com/search-results/m/26119992/stan-lee-on-disney-marvel-deal.htm

Disney's Brave Little Tailor video link
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5ucWolPhw


Well, "so long sports fans".

No comments:

Post a Comment