Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Night With Gerard Butler

Gerard Butler's Gamer bows in this week for the Labor Day box office battle. It's a futuristic tale about about convicted prisoners used as video game proxies or surrogates by teen gamers in violent virtual reality battles that are real life for the prisoners.


I must confess that Gerard Butler kind of snuck up on me. Though everyone raved about him in 300 and about JJ Abrams' direction of that film, I did not see 300 nor did I want to see it. I dodged him in that movie with Jodie Foster and Abigail Breslin, and that that chic flick with Jennifer Garner as well as the most recent chic flick with Katherine Hiegel, The Ugly Truth. I was content to continue dodging all Gerard Butler movies because I just didn't "get him".

Now, I have become a reluctant fan of Mr. Butler's after seeing the Guy Ritchie directed film, Rock N Rolla and after listening to him on two panels at screenings of the movie(one at Comic Con and one at the Arclight). He has a very quick wit and bit of a potty mouth but he comes across boyishly incorrigible and his sense of humor is contagious.

Still, I don't know if I will see any of his other movies. Case in point: Though Butler has a ruggedness to him that may work well in Gamer, the reviews are real bad so far. I really don't know if I will risk seeing it or I may just see it at for $3 (yeah, I'm cheap) at my now favorite theater in Pasadena. If you don't mind seeing movies 2-3 weeks after their release date but for a 4th of the price.



Funny thing. At the Arclight screening Gerard sat with the film's executive producer, Joel Silver and fielded questions as a group of women old enough to know better screaming "Gerrie!" throughout the Q&A.

No comments:

Post a Comment