Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Gospel and Opera Singer Don Diego Jones Has Died

I just found out that opera singer Don Diego Jones was murdered in a park in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, June 8th. I don't know his exact age but he didn't look older than his late 30's which makes it more tragic and sad. I lived in the days when DC was called "the murder capitol" but this news still shocked me. I pray things are not getting so bad again that a simple stroll in the park can cost you your life.

Don Diego Jones' Bio:
Don Diego Jones was a dedicated social worker and a member of the Washington National Opera's chorus where he performed in many operas. However, he was most notably known for his rendition of the 23rd Psalm that he did with harpist Jeff Majors at Coretta Scott King's funeral. He received even more acclaim when he repeated the performance on the Oprah Winfrey show later that year.

My Take:
What a loss! Don Diego Jones was an extraordinarily gifted vocalist who will not be forgotten. I absolutely loved his rendition of the 23rd Psalm in the video link especially how he sang "and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord, forever". I would play this continuously night and day when I was in some "dark valleys" myself or just to praise the Lord. I would often refer friends and family to this video during their tough times and they also found comfort and strength in it.

Even though I did not know Mr. Jones personally, I viewed the video all day today and could not keep myself from crying. The song has always touched me deeply but now it was so real and relevant. As sad as I am about Mr. Jones passing, all I can think of is "Oh, the choir that's in heaven!" I hope this video will strengthen his family through this tough time. My thoughts and prayers truly go out to Don Diego Jones' family. May God rest his soul and may He reward him greatly for using his gift of voice to praise our Lord. And may Don Diego Jones "dwell in the house of the Lord, forever".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYQX-Mvh9pI

Update:
Mr. Jones was 43 years old and was a contracted chorus performer and with the Washigton National Opera. He sang with the likes of Placido Domingo and many others during his many stage performance over 14 years with the Washington National Opera. His voice was classified as a lyric tenor which is defined as "a warm graceful voice with a bright, full timbre that is strong but not heavy and can be heard over an orchestra". Opera.com states that lyric tenors have a range from approximately the C one octave below middle C (C3) to the D one octave above middle C. Jones was married and he and is wife had just adopted twin babies. His mom, a reverend, gave the eulogy at his funeral and the Washington Natiional Opera gave a concert dedicated to his memory at the same park where he was killed. Police are offering a $25,000 reward for information on his murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment