Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Keeping The Faith In Hollywood!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fall Movie Previews 2011




IMHO:
Due to recent financial constraints, I'm having to be extremely picky about which movie I'll spend upwards of $13 to see. The result is extensive online and print research on the movies before I even venture out. But sadly, most of the recent movie releases have not been to my liking and I haven't even been moved to see a single movie in over 3 months (which is totally unlike me).

Drama/Action:
Hopefully, my slump will end soon as there are a few Fall movies being released that are garnering a bit of Oscar buzz among them are Moneyball with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill and Ides of March starring Ryan Goslin and Oscar fav, George Clooney. I like baseball movies like The Natural, League Of Their Own, Field of Dreams, Hardball and Angels In The Outfield so I might see Moneyball but it had better be good cause I'm tough on sports movies.

And I'm even tougher on Mr. George "if I'm in it then it deserves an Oscar nod" Clooney than I am on baseball movies, so I may not go to see Ides either. Clooney appeals to many women but his Box Office numbers never seem to be that impressive outside of the Ocean's Eleven franchise and maybe Up In The Air but maybe Ides will be a home run.

Drive (also starring Goslin) got some good reviews but it seems that it's an acquired taste due to the violence and the quirky choice of the director to have minimal dialogues in some scenes. Still the movie has not done well in the young male demographic that was its target audience. I’m not young or male but I wasn’t sold on Ryan Gosling in the lead as an action or dangerous type. In fact, I was hyped to see Drive when I mistakenly thought it was Daniel Craig on the movie poster-lol. And what's up with that neon pink lettering on the poster? All that being said, if I’d known Bryan Cranston was in Drive I would have been first in line to see this movie!

Another violent actionner, Killer Elite, opens in a few weeks. It stars Clive Owens and Jason Statham paired with the great, Robert DeNiro as dueling special ops teams but I somehow don't have high hopes for this one.

Bromance/Comedy:
50/50 a movie about a young guy with cancer starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen comes out in a week. I really like JG-L especially in 500 Days Of Summer but Seth is definitely an acquired taste.

Chick Flicks:
The summer hold-over The Helpis still doing well in theaters and I am actually seeing people reading the book, too. Expect to see these women in contention for at least one Oscar this season. Sarah Jessica Parker is also back on the big screen in a rom-com called Don't Know How She Does It , a movie that I'm sure I've seen before. SJP is a hard sell for me outside of the Sex And The City movies so I think I will skip it.

Kids/Family Releases:
Still, kids and family favorites like the re-release of The Lion King in 3D have dominated the box office and A Dolphin Tale's numbers are growing. Though I've seen the Lion King tons of times, I'll still be at the El Capitan Theatre to see it in 3D and look forward to its Blu-Ray release.

Real Steel (starring Hugh Jackman) is due to open in October but I felt the trailers were a little campy. It might do well in the Transformers demographics or if the 45 plus demographics remember their love for the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots-lol. Well, we'll see.

Duck!!! More Remakes Are Coming!!!!
All I can say is, remaking The Thing? Why?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment